"The only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas

Monday, June 18, 2012

Rejoice in your reality

http://www.rippedusa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/0810-woman-looking-in-mirror_at1.jpg
photo courtesy of rippedusa.com
Maybe it's just me. But there are days, truth be told, most all days, when I look in the mirror and see nothing but flab and gray hair (yes, me, before the age of 30, shocking I'm aware) and how my clothes fit in all the wrong ways.  I go through the list of things I WILL change.  I will eat less and workout more and scrape together the pennies it takes to consistently dye my hair.  Usually that list runs through my head while I eat my pop tart and scarf down my coffee while running out the door because I couldn't even wake up early enough to get out of the house on time, much less have time for exercise.  But if I'm literally running out the door, that counts for something right?

I grew up with a mother who was always trying to lose 5lbs and aunts, cousins and uncles who are exercise and health food feigns. The kind of people that, not intentionally, definitely not on purpose, make you feel worse about yourself and all the things you're NOT doing to "keep up."  I love my family, they are fantastic people, but their lifestyles and constant focus on their image and material things leaves a certain someone feeling a little unworthy.   And I'm not against self improvement, I know health and fitness are very important, but it's the untruths that I allow myself to believe about myself that are the issue.

We all know being prideful is a sin.  A large portion of Proverbs addresses pride and how the foolish are prideful. It's where we get our saying "pride comes before the fall."  And we work hard to not have others see us as arrogant or egotistical.

We get that.

But, this is a big BUT...(not big butt)

Did you know that self deprecation, the exact thing I'm doing when I look in the mirror, tearing myself down, is also a form of pride????

Think about it.

I am too fat. I have bad hair. I need better clothes. I...I...I...

Anytime the focus is on I, (whether "I am the GREATEST thing since sliced bread" or "I am a COMPLETE FAILURE"), and not He, you're being prideful.

Whoever humbles himself like a child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3-4

A humble person doesn't feel shame or guilt.  A humble person has a clear view of reality.

Take for example an incredibly talented singer.  It's clear that this artist is good, but yet she always says that she's not. When complimented on her skill, she replies that she was terrible and really shouldn't be a musician at all.

That's not a clear view of reality. 

And it's also not giving credit where it's due.

Her response should be, "Thank you, my talent comes from God."

That's not prideful or arrogant, that's being humble. 

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 129:13-14

Every time I say to myself that I'm not good enough, I'm telling God straight to his face that what he has created, IN ME, is not good enough. That His work is not wonderful.

That's a scary road to travel.

If you're successful at your job, be thankful God gave you the knowledge to be good at it.
If you are analytical and practical, be happy God has privileged you with such a great skill.
If you are known for your ability to love and encourage, be grateful God gave you such a big heart.

We need to quit tearing ourselves down and rejoice in our reality.

Only then can we truly be humble.

Tomorrow I will look in the mirror and see a woman, molded and crafted and wonderfully made by her Creator, not her imperfections.

And so should you.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

So true, and not said enough how we are dishonoring God when we hate what we see in ourselves. At the same time, we need to cherish the work He did in creating us by treating our bodies well and taking care of them. It an be such a tough balance. It helps me when I get down on how I look to remember this body gave birth a couple times! Thanks for this post!

Allyson said...

You're so right Michelle! It is a tough balance, and only through God's grace can we find that balance. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love what you say here about when we criticize ourselves we criticize what God has created.

Thank you for this!

Post a Comment

"This stretch of our sacred journey could be likened to driving through the fog: we may see no landmarks and get little assurance we're even headed the right direction, but the only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Cherished Uncertainty, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena