"The only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas

Monday, July 20, 2015

Waiting on Baby



I'm still here. And I'm still pregnant.  A good friend texted me to say "You've been pregnant for roughly 11 years."

Not quite.  But for 288 days...I've been pregnant.  I'm starting to think I'm part elephant.

And all the things to induce labor safely and naturally have been tried.  

But there is still a full grown newborn baby inside of me.  Really. I saw her today.  Her cheeks are so chubby.  She's giving me kisses...and most likely has my nose.  And sort of looks like she's swallowed a hot dog.  Ultrasounds are weird that way.


Kindergartner A has all but given up on being a big sister.  It's like we've told her this horrible lie. Oh a baby is coming, you're going to be a big sister.  But she's not dumb.  There's no baby.  And she's not a sister yet.  I don't blame her for being less than excited at this point.

But at my midwife appointment today she asked me how I'm feeling.  And physically, I feel great.  I have a "normal" amount of energy, I'm sleeping well, not too swollen and overall pretty okay.  And before all the other pregnant women roll their eyes in disgust, my pregnancies aren't that easy.  I'm sick, like terribly, throw up several times a day sick for the first oh, 16-18 weeks.  I have had my fair share of discomfort.

But right now, at 41 weeks and 1 day I'm doing really well.  Exercise has played a part, nutrition has played a bigger part and prayer has played the biggest part. 

The midwife asks, "Who are YOU?  Most women by now are begging me to get this baby out!"

I don't think that well on my feet.  And really was a bit surprised by her question.  I just answered, "I don't mind waiting."    I should have answered so much differently.

I'm not anyone special. But the waiting thing.  I've done it.  And what I've had experience waiting for was no where near as rewarding as my sweet baby girl will be.

Just a little less than two years ago I found myself waiting for biopsy results, surgery results, PET scan results and genetic testing results  (read that here).  That's waiting.  And that's much harder.

This waiting, waiting on baby.  I can do.  She will come on her time, on God's time.  He has knit her together perfectly in his image.  And he has her birthday already planned.  I won't interfere with that.

Let me just say, ultimately, however babies arrive as long as mama and baby are healthy, it truly doesn't matter.  I have had close friends have home births, be induced,  have water births, have c sections, get epidurals and bring their babies into the world the way that worked best for them.  But for me, I've done the induction thing, unnecessarily, and it wasn't pleasant.  This time I'm choosing differently.  I'm doing what is best for me and for her. 

And that means giving her more time and my body more time and more waiting.

"Who are you?"  

I am at peace with God's timing and his plan.  I am a woman surrendered to faith.  That's who I am. And if she asks again, that's how I'll answer.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born..." Ecclesiastes 3








0 comments:

Post a Comment

"This stretch of our sacred journey could be likened to driving through the fog: we may see no landmarks and get little assurance we're even headed the right direction, but the only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Cherished Uncertainty, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena