"The only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Drive a Stake

 I didn't used to be this way. At least not this bad. A wishy washy person.  A difficult decision un-maker. But then I was diagnosed.

Death got real.

And the ability to take a stance has all but vanished.  And even though my diagnosis is gone too, a trail of fears has been left behind.  Real fears I didn't have before. And all of these fears?  They make me second guess if I'm ever doing the right thing. 

I've been juggling a few different decisions lately, but all with the same uncertainty.  I was thinking, as remnants of dinner lay crusted over on the stove and dirty laundry spilled from the hamper onto the bathroom floor, is it ironic that the name of my blog has actually come to fruition in my life?  Do I still cherish all this uncertainty? When life got tough, did I remember that the one and only God allows uncertainty in our lives so we have to trust him?  Or did I let fear and the unknown drive me away?

I leaned into God more than I ever have while I thought I had cancer.  I praised His holy name when healing arrived.  But in the aftermath, an explosion of "what if's" and guilt have been allowed to rule.  I'm afraid of not knowing how much time I have left and afraid of ultimately making a decision where I can't control the outcome. I feel guilty if I slack off in an area I know I should have the motivation to succeed.

Most recently I've been struggling with my diet and exercise and with what to do with my baby girl come time for Pre-K...in the fall. Gah. 

I'm addicted to coffee, and I feel guilty when I drink it. I think what if my cancer comes back and I know I could have been eating better, cleaner?  Will I regret my choice to drink coffee even though I knew it was unhealthy? Or that chocolate bar or that whole grain chip or that bowl of cereal?

What if I homeschool preschooling A and then have another baby and officially lose my mind? And preschooling A heads to kindergarten knowing less than she knows now?

What if I don't live an alkaline lifestyle and cancer is actually what kills me?

What if I put preschooling A in a Pre K program and then feel guilty for not keeping her at home?

During a particular nap time last week, as I'm trying to figure this all out, and things around me seem to be falling apart and I had given in and gone to that coffee place that starts with star and ends with bucks (I blame the drive thru) and ordered something with over 300 calories in it and then proceeded to come home and dump an entire box of uncooked macaroni noodles on the floor (thank goodness for dogs, I hope you don't choke), I stopped in my tracks, sat down and called Mom.

Mom is, and she will admit, a little crazy.  Who's mom isn't?  But Mom is also full of wisdom that I desperately need.

After crying and yelling and unloading my fears, she says,

"You have to drive a stake."

And she tells me a story about how every morning her husband puts 10 tootsie rolls in a plastic bag for her and she knows that once those 10 are gone that day, she can't have anymore.  But, she can eat those 10 without feeling guilty.  See...a little crazy.  But her point hit home.

You have to make a decision, set a boundary, and don't look back.

Drive a stake.

People do this all the time.  There's a blog I've recently read about a mama who has decided her family won't eat any more processed food.  Decision made, no regrets.  Or the stay at home mom who decides not to go back to work. Stake driven, no looking back.

In my own life, we don't do high fructose corn syrup of any kind in any thing.  We sit around the dinner table as a family, every night. We pray together every day. Husband R and I always kiss goodbye. We read our Bible. We allow ourselves to drink wine, on the weekends and some Mondays. These are stakes we've driven, without even realizing it. 

And the ultimate stake, don't miss this, was driven when Jesus was nailed to the cross.  When God gave us His son and forgave us. One would think that would be a big regret, seeing how often we sin against Him. But it's not. He loves us so much He allowed that stake to be driven, into his own flesh. To take the punishment we deserve, all with no regrets.

 

I'm doing better with this.  I'm driving more stakes.  Making more decisions.  Preschooling A will be staying home with me. I'll be her teacher, new baby or not.  Should we call her homeschooling A now?

Star to the bucks is only allowed on Saturdays.  And one cup of homemade coffee per day.  That's it.

Grains and dairy are allowed in my diet again as long as they are organic and in moderation.

Exercise...eh..I think I lost that stake along with all of Husband R's phone chargers and my keys.

And sure, these boundaries will move and change as life does, but as long as I can say to myself, this decision has been made, your limit has been set, then hopefully there won't be the guilt and regrets. 

So what stakes have you driven?  Which ones would you like to?  I'd love to hear about what you're facing too!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this!! This is so timely. Proud of you Ally!

Unknown said...

Allyson! One of my favorite things about you is your courage to be vulnerable. Such a rare gift! And, though my story is different I can relate to what you write about. In my own life I have memorized and recited Romans 8:1 too many times to count but getting the idea DEEP down into who I am and how I do life is a journey... I think from the moment we become mothers satan starts on mission to torment us and our decisions and in seasons of uncertainty and stress its magnified and relentless. I think you know Zach has diabetes. Type 1. Type 2 is in the news and public discourse a lot. As is cancer. The truth is they both become BREEDING grounds for those in these spots of false guilt and condemnation, satans playground. In my own life I have a life long journey of counting carbs (for Zach and us... ) but not becoming ruled by them... Oh how difficult it is... I just keeping breathing in Romans 8:1 and the beautiful sweet grace of it... Thank you for sharing your story... And, whatever you decide with A you and her will do AMAZING with!! I think you are one awesome woman and mom!

Jesse Rae said...

Well written Ally. I, too, often worry with decisions, uncertainty, more decisions, more guilt and then I reel myself in realizing once again I am not in control. God is. The age old saying, Let go and let God. Easier said than done. I fully believe he is in control. If he needs to use me for something else, he will. But in every day life it's so hard not to worry about "am I feeding the girls the most healthy options, am I eating the best I can, am I spending too much money on our food, how do I KNOW I've made the right decision about school for Gracie....and on and on and on AHHH" It's overwhelmingly stressful. It impacts my relationship with DH. He thinks I'm a nut as I sit at a restaurant worried about the lack of healthy options on the menu. The lack of "real" food. Then once again I back up and "Let it go" (G's new favorite song from Frozen). And I start over again. And I plan my meals again. And I teach Gracie the best I know how without showing her I am consumed by food or health or anything other than God. That becomes my main focus. Eat the best I can, put the best food I can into God's temple and leave the control to him. No regrets, no guilt, just faith in God. Until tomorrow...

Allyson said...

Thank you thank you thank you all for your words and encouragement! It's so freeing to know I'm not alone! It is a fine line to walk...being vigilant in our choices but not ruled by them. I like it Jesse Rae, Let go and let God! Let it goooo let it gooo! Yes, I hear that song..just shy of 110 times a day :)

Post a Comment

"This stretch of our sacred journey could be likened to driving through the fog: we may see no landmarks and get little assurance we're even headed the right direction, but the only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Cherished Uncertainty, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena