"The only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

To preschool or not to preschool

Breakfast time, toddling A happily sitting in her high chair eating her yogurt, mom has to use the bathroom, mom walks into the bathroom (15 ft away) shuts the door.  Toddling A goes from happy to hysterical in less time than it takes for mom to unbutton her pants.  MOMMY!!!  MOMMY!!!  MOMMY!!!!  Alligator tears.

If you have or have ever had a child who suffers from separation anxiety (my self diagnosis), you've experienced that scene and others like it, many many times.

Where have I gone wrong?  Why is my child like this?  What am I supposed to do to make it better?

I've asked myself these questions over and over, and sought advice and expertise from mother after mother.

The one reoccurring proposed solution that keeps popping up, even from dear dad, is "put her in preschool, give yourself and her some time apart, she'll learn not to be so attached."

Sounds simple enough, right?

Wrong.  Not simple. Because then I start asking myself,

What if preschool makes it worse?  What if she learns bad behaviors from other children?  What's the point of me being a "stay at home mom" if my daughter is in preschool?

To preschool or not to preschool, that is my question.

And for now, I've found my answer.  Now let me tell you, I have nothing against preschool and nothing against mother's who put their children in preschool.  Each family and child are different and different things work for different people.  You do what is best for you.  I'll do what is best for me.  Like a strong woman of faith told me last night "Everyone else thinks they are the expert on your child."

So, I've decided, after much consideration, prayer and consulting women I trust,

Not to preschool (GASP)

And this is why:

1. Toddling A is not even 2, is it really a bad thing if she wants to be with mom all the time?
2. I can teach toddling A way more than any preschool teacher, honest I can. Just a few days ago we played outside in the rain and splashed in muddles and learned about rivers and where the water goes and who made the rain. 
3. She's going to spend 13+ years in a school setting, do I really need to add more, I mean that's such a long time.
4. Putting her in preschool just to "fix" her separation anxiety is not enough of a reason for me.

And here's the kicker, something I heard quoted by my pastor's wife last night, that she heard from Craig Groeschel (another pastor), and I'm paraphrasing.

"The world (culture/society) defines a successful adult as happy, well rounded and well educated.  But we (as christians) are called to unleash single minded, Christ centered, biblically anchored world changers."

Show me a preschool that can unleash that kind of adult in toddling A and we'll be enrolled tomorrow.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

"This stretch of our sacred journey could be likened to driving through the fog: we may see no landmarks and get little assurance we're even headed the right direction, but the only way out of the fuzziness is to drive right through the uncertainty." - Gary Thomas
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Cherished Uncertainty, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena